Thursday, May 1, 2008

Are authors responsible to write in ways that will represent and help develop their cultural or gender identity?



I just am fascinated by the feminist critiques due to their courage and aggression displayed in each of their works. I haven't been exposed to much as far as feminist writings are concerned or feminist theories because it never seemed to be an issue. Now, having a very knowledgeable roommate on the subject, my eyes have been opened to differing aspects of this style of criticism.
When I saw this question, I thought of Cixous' sexual charged imagery and a few points brought up in her piece "The Laugh of the Medusa". She concludes this essay by stating, "When I write, it's everything that we don't know we can be that is written out of me, without exclusions, without stipulation, and everything we will be calls us to the unflagging, intoxicating, unappeasable search for love. In one another we will never be lacking" (2056).
The woman of yesterday would feel the need to represent her gender identity through writing. I would argue that no matter what is written or how it is written, it will represent the gender group regardless of what the title and subject/style of the work is. To be afraid of man because he is the "big dick" (2054), would hamper as well as trying so hard to affirm and assert writings as a woman. By writing in such a way that is very much feminist in the political/agenda definition of the word would simply aggravate the problem of inequality. If I were to write a book at this very moment, what part of me would be excluded from the piece? None. I have a faith background, I am a woman and I am not privileged a diverse background...these things are meant to represent me and in some sense my beliefs, gender and cultural background. But, I am not obligated, nor responsible to write confined to the charge of "represent who you belong to". Isn't my writing "representation" enough. I feel that this would cheapen literature if it were to be mainly focused on something I represent alone, instead of the writing itself. I am not saying that after being oppressed, one should still only maintain writing first. As Kolodny said she and others paved the way so that others may "dance through the minefield".
It's important to establish an identity, but in the name of writing...perhaps not even to be affirmed as to who you are as aperson.

No comments: